Hidden away in the mountains of Northern China exists one of the greatest human achievements ever created – the iconic Great Wall of China. Today, the wall stands magnificently as a reminder of China’s powerful history and culture. Traversing through the winding, snaking wall is a journey of discovery and exploration like no other, which is why it is considered an absolute must-have on any traveler’s bucket list. Join us as we journey to the awe-inspiring Great Wall of China and uncover its profound secrets.
1. Experiencing the Historically Stunning Great Wall of China
The Great Wall of China is a remarkable structure spanning across much of Northern China. Carved through mountains, it provides a striking view from miles away and has been described as one of the most historic attractions in the world.
- Walking on the Wall – The wall is a must-see destination when travelling in China, and walking on the wall itself is an even more unique experience. A hike across the wall offers magnificent views of the surrounding countryside, a chance to explore the wall’s history, and time to feel a connection with the Chinese culture.
- The Wall’s Architecture and History – Sections of the Great Wall of China still stand today that were originally built in the 5th century. It is an awe-inspiring mixture of ingenuity and massive construction. The longest section of the wall is more than 6,000 kilometers, and certain sections display a range of architectural features, including bastions, watchtowers, and unique built-in staircases operated by waterwheels.
The Great Wall of China’s story makes it all the more incredible. With many of its sections being created, destroyed, and reconstructed over centuries, the wall is a testament to the resilience of the Chinese people over time. Experiencing the wall in person only brings this history to life that much more.
For a trip unlike any other, a visit to the Great Wall is sure to be an experience you won’t soon forget. So why not plan a trip and become part of its story?2. Exploring the Historic Significance of a World Wonder
The Great Pyramids of Giza are a marvel of the ancient world, and their history is as fascinating as the structures themselves. The first Pyramid of Giza, the Pyramid of Khufu, is estimated to have been built around 2560 BCE. The second Pyramid of Giza, the Pyramid of Khafre, was begun in 2520 BCE, while the third and smallest, the Pyramid of Menkaure, was built around 2400 BCE. Each Pyramid required the labor of around 10,000 men and took around eight months to complete.
The Pyramids of Giza are also known for their impressive size. Khufu’s pyramid is the largest at over 481 feet tall, while Khafre’s pyramid is perfectly aligned with the stars in the skies above.
The purpose of The Great Pyramids has been a popular source of discussion for centuries. Some believe they were simply tombs, while others theorize that they were used to store precious materials. Regardless, the skill and attention to detail that went into their construction is hard to deny.
The Pyramids of Giza are an enduring testament to the strength and resilience of the human race, and are completely deserving of their status as a World Wonder:
- The meticulousness and skill that went into their construction.
- The way they were implemented into the surrounding culture.
- The continued relevance and mystery that surrounds them.
Take a visit to the Pyramids of Giza and unlock the secrets of this fascinating World Wonder.
3. Taking in the Ancient Architectural Brilliance of the Great Wall
The beauty of the Great Wall of China is something truly breathtaking and one should never miss the opportunity to take it in. The sheer magnificence of the architectural brilliance that went into its making is something hard to ignore.
- The Magnificence of the Wall – One should take the time to explore and appreciate every inch of the wall, including the watchtowers, the panoramic views, the fortresses, and more. Feel the power of the centuries of history while you walk along the wall.
- The Cultural Significance – The wall is a symbol of Chinese identity and an integral part of the country’s history. Learn more about the role of the Great Wall in Chinese culture and take in the magnitude of its importance.
- The Peace and Quiet – A walk along the Great Wall can be a great opportunity to enjoy some peaceful moments. Even better if you are lucky enough to be able to visit while the sun is setting and see the way the light transforms the ancient structure in front of you.
The Great Wall of China is not to be missed and should be on everyone’s travel list. There, one can witness the awesomeness of the ancient structure as well as the importance of the history and culture of the Chinese people.
4. Adventuring to the China-Mongolian Borders at the Great Wall
Travelling to the historic Great Wall of China is a chance to make a unique pilgrimage to one of the architectural and historical wonders of the world. Journey to the China-Mongolian borders for a remarkable adventure, from desert landscapes to the spectacular undulations of the Great Wall itself.
The unique physical beauty found along the Mongolian borders is like taking a walk back in time. Tread along rugged mountains crowned with over 2,000 years of crumbling brick and stone walls. Deep blu skies fill your vision as you reach the highest points, wandering along forested pathways and soaking up the atmospheric views.
Embrace the rich historical and cultural legacy to be found here. The awe-inspiring monuments of the past dot the landscape, and offer plenty of opportunities to explore. Embrace a sense of wonder and explore the many fortresses, watchtowers, temples and shrines that stand along the route.
The journey is as much an adventure of the senses as it is of the spirit. Your sights, smells and sounds are tinged with a sense of time and reverence that will stay with you always. Spend a night in a traditional yurt along the way and celebrate your achievements with a meal of traditional local cuisine.
5. Discovering the Wonder of the Great Wall of China
Standing tall and seemingly endless, the Great Wall of China truly lives up to its reputation as one of the world’s most incredible structures. To explore its magnificence is an experience that should not be missed out on.
The good news is that it’s been shaped over many centuries, and so there are sections, which range from moderate walks to tough treks that can be enjoyed. Here’s what can be expected on a Great Wall journey of discovery:
- The Wild Wall: Stretching across the rugged mountain range near the Chinese and Mongolian border, this stretch of the Great Wall of China is steep and steeply sloped, making it more suitable for experienced hikers.
- The Historic Wall: This section combines old-world charm with modern-day accessibility. The Mutianyu wall offers not only stunning views, but also cable cars and tower observatories to make the journey easier and more enjoyable.
- The Restored Great Wall: There are also sections of the wall which have been restored to their former glory. The Jiankou section is a particularly popular destination, because it looks exactly like it did during the Ming and Qing Dynasties.
No journey to the Great Wall of China is complete without a visit to the Museum of the Great Wall, which can be found near the entrance of some of the most popular sections. It contains an extensive collection of fascinating artifacts, which also includes sculptures, photographs, and even a film area. Viewing the artifacts is a great way to further explore the rich history of this remarkable structure.
Exploring the Great Wall of China has long been a bucket list item for many, and rightly so. With its majestic beauty, mysterious history, and incredible engineering, it’s sure to be a vacation spot like no other. Get ready to be awed by an ancient masterpiece, and return home with stories that will last a lifetime.